Concerning the Directive 2005/36 / EC, the proposed curriculum aim a University training in architecture, ensuring the acquisition and the following skills:
- The ability to create architectural designs that satisfy both aesthetic and technical requirements;;
- Adequate knowledge of the history and theories of architecture and the related arts, technologies and human sciences;
- Adequate knowledge of urban design and planning;
- Understanding of the relationship between people and buildings, and between buildings and their environment;
- Understanding of the profession of architect and the role of the architect in society;
- Knowledge of project research methods;
- Knowledge of the problems of structural design, and construction related to the design of buildings;
- Knowledge of physical problems and technologies, in order to provide all internal conditions of comfort and protection against the climate.
As specified in Article 21 of Directive 2005/36 / EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 7 September 2005 on the recognition of professional qualifications the “Principle of automatic recognition” implies that all the Member States recognize the qualifications listed in section 5.7.1. Annex V, assigning to those graduates the architect title and the access to the professional activity in the UE Countries. The Master in Architecture and Urbanism at the University Fernando Pessoa was added to Annex V, point 5.7.1. Directive 2005/36 / EC in December 2010.